Nainital Zoo is 1st largest in the Uttarakhand state of India, the second one is Dehradun Zoo. The official name of Nainital Zoo is Bharat Ratna Pt. Govind Ballabh Pant High Altitude Zoo. The hill in which this zoo is located is locally known as Sher Ka Danda in Nainital. This is located at an elevation of 2100 meters above sea level, maybe that is why it is known as high altitude zoo.
Nainital Zoo was established in 1984 and it is spread over an area of 4693 hectares. This zoo was opened in 1995 for the visitors as a sightseeing. From 1 March 2002, Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant High Altitude Zoo Society is managing this zoo. The objective of Nainital zoo is to protect the wildlife and biodiversity of hilly region of Uttarakhand.
- Read More: 4 Best Waterfalls In Nainital
Nainital Zoo Ticket price
Charge For (per person)
Charges (in INR)
Adult (13-60 year)
|Children (5-12 year)|
Kida and Senior Citizen
- Tickets are available on the main gate of the Zoo.
- 50% discount for Senior Citizens, Disabled and School Group.
- During the Environment Day, Zoo Foundation Day, Wildlife week, Ozone Day, there is free entry for students.
Nainital Zoo Timings
The opening time of Nainital Zoo is 9:30 am and the closing time is 4:30 pm. The Zoo remains closed on Monday, Holi, and Diwali.
- Read More: Jim Corbett National Park Travel Guide
Nainital zoo Animal list
To see all animals, passengers have to move upwards from the stairs. Although it is a bit tiresome but, definitely a good experience. It takes 1-2 hours to explore the whole zoo and see the animals in the zoo.
Mammals in High Altitude Zoo Nainital
- Leopard, Tiger
- Japanese Macaque
- Tibetian Wolf
- Himalayan Black Bear
- Himalayan Yellow Throated Marten, Himalayan Palm Civet
- Goral, Serow
- Barking Deer, Sambar
Pheasants High Altitude Zoo Nainital
- Golden Pheasants, Silver Pheasants, Brown Eared Pheasant, Bornean Fireback Pheasants, Kalij Pheasant, Lineated Kalij Pheasant, Lady Amherst Pheasant, Reeves Pheasant
- Red Jungle Fowl,
- Spot Bellie Eagle Owl, Steppe Eagle,
- Indian Peafowl
Nainital Zoo Rules
- Do not feed animals. It can plunder their health.
- Bothering and teasing the animals is a punishable violation.
- Cooperate to keep the zoo premises clean, use trash.
- Maintain a safe distance from animals and the cage.
- It is forbidden to take ingredients in the zoo.
- Taking things like loudspeakers, tapes, radios, weapons are strictly forbidden, proper action will be taken if caught.
How to reach Nainital Zoo
The zoo is located 2 km away from the Tallital bus stop of Nainital. The visitors are not allowed to take their personal vehicle there. The zoo offer shuttle service from Mall Road which cost Rs. 40 per person. The visitors can also reach there by foot but the path is too steep, so think accordingly. The nearest railway station from Nainital zoo is Kathgodam (36 km) and the nearest airport is Pantnagar airport (70 km).